How does a water powered sump pump work?
A water powered sump pump is configured to turn on automatically, only in the event of a primary sump pump failure. As long as there is adequate Municipal Water Pressure the Water Powered Sump Pump will continue to operate. That means day after day, week after week if necessary, until the electricity is restored.
Because water pressure in any municipality will vary depending on use, A-1 Basement Solutions requires a minimum of 60 PSI to install the water powered sump pump. With 60 PSI water pressure and an 8 foot vertical lift the SJ10 will pump 17 GPM which is equivalent to 1,020 Gallon Per Hour (GPH).
BECAUSE IT IS DEPENDENT UPON WATER PRESSURE TO OPERATE YOU MUST BE CERTAIN OF YOUR MUNICIPAL WATER UTILITY’S ABILITY TO MAINTAIN CONSTANT WATER PRESSURE DURING A POWER OUTAGE.
- A Water Powered Emergency Sump Pump will probably be your best choice for a cost-effective ultra-reliable emergency sump pump. With this ultra-reliable backup pumping system in place, you should always be able to protect your basement – even if the electrical power fails for an extended period. Additionally, there is effectively no required maintenance and no battery to worry about.
- However, You must have a reliable municipal water supply, consistently achieving 60 psi pressure or more. For obvious reasons, we don’t recommend water powered sump pumps for use with an electrically powered well water system, or as a long-term substitute for your ac powered primary basement sump pump system.
A few more points to consider:
- Water powered emergency pumps work best with a full size, unrestricted water supply directly from the house water meter outlet to the pump.
- In an unfinished basement: it is usually not a problem to run the required water line to your emergency backup pump, which must be located above the sump pit.
- In a finished basement: your water supply, backup pump and sump pit are ideally located close to each other, in a closet. If your basement is already finished and your water meter is a great distance from the sump pit location, it may occasionally prove too disruptive or costly to run the water supply line to the emergency pump. Your optimum backup pump selection will then be a battery powered back up system.
Do you have enough water pressure for a water powered sump pump?
Contact A-1 Basement Solutions for a free in-home inspection and detailed quote today!